Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Promote Your Passion

Over the last couple of months we have been involved with something called Learning Through The Arts. You can learn more about Learning Through The Arts by clicking here. Essentially, it is a program funded by the Royal Conservatory of Music to teach students through the arts.

Essentially, both students and teachers have been working closely with John and Martha (the artists) to create a digital media product that promotes student passion.  As the teacher I have learned how important it is to gain a deep understanding of what we want to pass on to our students.  This is something I always knew and try hard to do, but Learning Through The Arts has driven this home for me.

To create a product my students could view as an example, I had to learn a lot.  Through Learning Through The Arts, I had some acting lessons, voice lessons, videography lessons and digital media pre planning lessons. It was only after I learned all of these parts of digital media, I could express exactly what I wanted of my students.  After reflecting on this multi curricular project I have a fresh view of the importance of having a deep understanding of what my students are learning.

What lesson did you teach students that made you realize how important it is to have a deep understanding of what you are teaching?

1 comment:

  1. When I was in a classroom, the subject I was most passionate about was health. I understand the importance of literacy and numeracy, of course, but I felt strongly about the health curriculum because I felt the content was authentic and had immediate impact on the lives of my students and the decisions they were being forced to make in their daily lives outside of school. My students always had so many questions and we had great discussions around the different areas of health, such as substance abuse and healthy sexuality. As a teacher, I knew I had to be honest with the students and comfortable with the content or else my students wouldn't feel safe to be curious and open with me in return. Teaching health to my intermediate students allowed me to get to know them better individually and it also allowed us to bond as a class. It's one of the things I miss most about teaching.

    ReplyDelete